I haven't posted in awhile, life has been busy. But today is Alex's last day of Elementary School (Holy Fritos!) and things should calm down a bit now.
I am just wondering how many people are worried about the economy?
I know this is a dry subject....but I am curious about how others see America's economic future.
The economy is weak. I read news articles about foreclosures, interest rates, credit cards, layoffs, gas prices, etc everyday....but I don't see many people changing their lifestyle or freakin out.
So I am wondering how dire the situation will be. If we are reaching peak production of oil, then the supply will start diminishing, right? If gas/oil prices continue to increase and the wage gap between rich and poor continues to get wider........we are spending A LOT of $$$$ on the war......health care costs have the potential to cripple a family.......global warming and/or natural disasters could strike (Katrina anyone?)....don't forget a flu pandemic would hit us all hard......and social security and medicare issues with retiring Boomers - eeep!
Am I just worried about the sky falling? Or should we be seriously concerned?
My husband's point is that we should be as independently sustainable as possible, because even if the economy doesn't tank in our lifetime (though a lot of factors seem to be pointing in that direction) we will be less beholden to anyone AND save more money. The less we spend on utilities the better.
So getting out of debt is our first priority. We only have 2 more credit card payments & then we only have my student loan to pay off YIPPEE!!!!!!!!! No car payments either.
Debt is a really bad problem in the United States. Lemme tell you, you aren't going to get rich by being in debt. (My advice is buy a car you have the money saved for, never pay another car payment again.)
What is going to happen to all those Americans in debt if the economy slumps? How are they going to pay their debts and have any kind of quality of life? I joke to my husband that we will have debtor-prisons again. But seriously...I am kinda worried.
So
#1 eliminating debt,
#2 converting/building an independently sustainable house,
#3 growing your own food & buying locally,
#4 stop the consuming mentality
.......these all seem like good ideas. It will not be easy to accomplish these things, but it can only be beneficial.
I guess I am trying to process what my family needs to do in order to maximize happiness, health and freedom.....and minimize financial worries, health worries, and suffering. Hmmm, heavy stuff.
I know my husband is right and we need to make changes sooner rather than later. Change is hard....and scary!! But I suppose if the economy tanks everything is gonna suck. Might as well not lose our house......
.....or go to debtors-prison HAHAHAH!
PEACE (& financial security)
No comments:
Post a Comment