It is harder to find joy in things lately. You know why? I think I am depressed. and angry. confused. bitter. and totally f*cking scared.
And you know what the messed up part is?
I have every reason to be!!!!!
Its ridiculous that everybody isn't freakin out right now.
I know we Americans want to be comfortable. We want to concentrate on the here and now. How beautiful our child's face looks, or how fun a movie was, or how a favorite recipe turns out.
But we have stopped doing our duty. We have forgotten and/or ignored a very important gift our founding fathers and mothers gave us, because we would rather have someone take care of it. How can we be surprised?
Naomi Wolf writes in her book The End of America: Letters of Warning to a Young Patriot:
"It is not just the young who are disconnected from democracy's tasks at just the moment that the nation's freedoms are being dismantled; in my travels across the country, I have heard from citizens of all backgrounds who feel alienated
from the Founders' idea that they are the ones who must lead; they are the ones who must decide and confront and draw a line. They are the ones who matter. This book is written for them."
Yes it is true. A democracy only works if the people partake in it. And if we were truly being patriotic and living up to American beliefs we would at the very least be paying attention.
Yes, it is true that our media has decayed to a point of destructive blather. But it is also true that independent media is findable. Especially if you have access to internet or cable.
But the sticking part is that we have to look for it on our own. We must start finding and digesting information to make informed decisions as citizens. And the timing is crucial. Just ponder these facts:
We are heading into a major financial crisis.
Our administration is on the road towards war with Iran.
The Patriot Act, Military Commissions Act, (and most recently) The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act
Scary things are happening. A storm is coming to America and we have the chance to see it and prepare for it.
Information is the key
Please take time to research what is going on with our country. Watch Democracy Now! and visit its website. Get Current TV. Surf Youtube (you might see some freakin adorable cats as a side benefit). Watch the debates and realize how riCOCKulous they are. Demand more from your representative. Check out and read books from your library. Get involved and honor the premise of our country.
I will try to post more on my blog. I guess I will concentrate more on politics then personal issues. At the moment I think it is more important. I think this storm is going to suck big time and I really want my friends and family to be okay.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment