It states:
If people keep gaining weight at the current rate, fat will be the norm by 2015, with 75 percent of U.S. adults overweight and 41 percent obese, U.S. researchers predicted on Wednesday.
A team at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore examined 20 studies published in journals and looked at national surveys of weight and behavior for their analysis, published in the journal Epidemiologic Reviews.
“Obesity is a public health crisis. If the rate of obesity and overweight continues at this pace, by 2015, 75 percent of adults and nearly 24 percent of U.S. children and adolescents will be overweight or obese,” Dr. Youfa Wang, who led the study, said in a statement.
Can we address this issue in the same manner we address other issues that threaten the health and happiness of Americans? ie Terrorism
Why is it that we are not taking a serious look at WHY obesity is a public health crisis? Is it that we are really that ignorant that we believe that being overweight is just because someone doesn't have enough will-power or stamina?
That is ridiculous! And by feeding into that utter insanity we are not bothering to look at the ACTUAL causes and problems.
Our food supply SUCKS
Fast food really SUCKS and is affordable - especially for poor people
Corporations like Sam's, Wal-Mart, Target, Safeway, etc - want consumers to consume. DUH They don't give a rat's patoody about our health or the ramifications of selling us huuuuge portions.
AND to top it off we are lulled into a comatose state with TV, video games, the internets
I am the first to admit that I am no better than anyone else. I frickin love Taco Bell, Cable TV, and sittin on my ass.
But at least I am pissed off and frightened about my health and the health of my love ones. So it is incredibly hard (I ain't gonna lie), but now fast food is the exception, we limit our TV time, and I try to read as much as possible about food choices and the crap in the food we eat.
I really recommend What to Eat by Marion Nestle and Chew on This: Everything You Don't Want to Know About Fast Food by Eric Schlosser.
It's not a matter of being "weak" or "lazy" that we are over-weight. It is a matter of ignorance and lack of time in our lives. We all need to take responsibility for our health....the first important step is educating ourselves.
No fad diets, no guilt inspired memberships to Curves that never get used.......I am talking about going to the library, bookstore, internet and feeding our brains first.
Once our brains are on board, our bodies will be happier and much more amendable to eating better portions, exercising, and stepping away from the pharmaceuticals.
This is OUR public health crisis.
Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment