Friday, April 13, 2007

Positive Thinking on Friday 13th

Howard Dean was in Denver this week to get things rolling for the upcoming DNC convention. Colorado Confidential had a quick interview with him. I found this question & answer encouraging:

CC: You said at the Denver rally and in previous interviews that Democrats were elected not to be in power, but to do something—and if they don't do something, then they shouldn't be re-elected. That sounded a lot like the "kick-butt" Howard Dean of the 2004 presidential elections. Are you trying to keep the fires burning under our Democratic leaders, especially those in Congress?


Dean: I think they are doing great and as you know, I don't have to say anything if I don't want to. I really believe they are doing a great job. They are delivering and who ever would have thought they could have accomplished all of that in 100 days.

The purpose of being in power is not to keep in power-- that's what doomed the Republicans. They were so interested in keeping power they forgot that they were there to work for the American people. They didn't do that.

As we gradually take that power, our number one mission should not be to stay in power--we won't succeed if that's our goal-- it needs to be to do something for the country and leading.
As governor I learned if you did a good job, the elections will take care of themselves. I think that can be true for Democrats in next year's elections, as well.


If the Democrats can keep their eyes on the issues and not obsess about job security and getting re-elected, we might actually have a great opportunity to revitalize America. But I am pretty jaded and its hard for me to truly believe that greed and power won't continue to be the major players in our political arena.

Prove me wrong Howard!

PEACE

No comments: