I had a weird dream that I somehow traveled back in time and ate at a TCBY....well actually I just looked at the menu because I didn't have any credit cards. Kinda weird. I also asked my brother if he knew what Tivo was "Nope, never heard of it" and Google "I have never heard that word."
Then I started thinking how Tivo and Google are fun words to say.
Well, I just finished Cancer Vixen. I guess its a no brainer that I loved it. I totally dig comics & graphic novels, I am partial to some seriously witty Chick Lit, and I know how much cancer straight up sucks.
I also dreamt about my sister last night. It was before she was sick, she was healthy and we had a normal conversation. When I dream about my sister it is such a paradox. On one hand it feels weird to be interacting with her as a person "not with cancer" but on the other hand it feels really normal, because most of my life she didn't have cancer. It is great to see her in my dreams.
So Cancer Vixen - straight up awesome. My recommendation is buy or borrow ASAP.
I also finished Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier. Yes I read it because Oprah recommended it. Well it was more like, as soon as it was released that she was hyping the book I put it on hold online at my library. Why? because I am kinda shitty that way. I wanted to be first in line HAHAHAHA! But it actually turned out to be one of the best books I have read this year.
As I become more involved in politics, I have been thinking more about religion, the purpose of my life, ethics, morals, belief systems, etc. I often feel "peerless" (except for Jeff) concerning my beliefs and thoughts. I have to say that I totally related to Sidney Poitier.
So I guess Sidney Poitier is my peer - weird.
But an excellent, inspiring, reflective book. My recommendation is get Measure of a Man from your library within the next year.
I also just finished The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by David Ramsey. The guy is more like an annoying personal fitness trainer then an interesting author - but that's okay. He has some good, solid advice. Jeff & I were already on our way to eliminating our debt, but Ramsey's book gave me a kick in the pants to get it done. I got a free credit report and canceled all my old credit cards. Now we are down to two. I am going to pay one off this week and cancel it. We should have the other payed off by the end of 2007. I am going to cancel that one and we will never use a credit card again (only debit card). If we don't have the money to do something, well I suppose we can't afford to do it then, eh?
We will have to build up a 6 month emergency fund, but I know we can do it. Jeff has been really inspiring.....he sold his car when we first got married and we use my Echo and his truck (both paid off) and he just sold his Harley. It helps to have partner who doesn't have to have big, expensive toys. And I have totally been trying to kick my beauty product habit.
So yes...if you have debt.....you need to go buy The Total Money Makeover.
I just started (pg. 30) devilish by Maureen Johnson. I am enjoying it a lot. I am a huge fan of young adult fiction that recognizes that teens appreciate sharp, intelligent wit, while also incorporating a strong story and engaging characters. Teens are so under-estimated these days. I relish a young adult author who can engage teens (and peerless adults ha!) on a worthy level.
So go to Borders and buy devilish. Also buy An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.
Read them both and then give them to a teen.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment