Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Wednesdays Rock!

I love Wednesdays because Jeff usually has the day off, so we can spend more time together. (Cut me some slack - we are still in our honeymoon years).

Jeff is building a garage in Hugo and I went along for the ride to help him measure it out. Hugo is a small, "well-worn" town on the eastern plains. Visiting these towns is such a weird experience for me. I am starting to grasp how realities can differ so much for Americans. We live in such a huuuge country, that our lives can be extremely diverse.


Which leads me to think about differing world-views, beliefs, and experiences. I was fortunate to travel extensively outside the US when I was very young and I believe it helped me understand different cultures at an early age. Sometimes I get really frustrated when people seem so focused on their own views that they either ignore or chastise other people's decisions and beliefs.


But I realize I still have a lot of learnin to do when it comes to American experiences, and so I am trying to push myself to learn more about Americans before dismissing their beliefs, religions, or politics myself.

Anywho - here are some pics of Hugo







Hugo Liquors









I don't know exactly what this big steel silo looking building is - but I see them a lot in the small towns out here.....


I should probably ask Jeff about that.




This was one of the businesses on the main street. It is The Rose Petal and I believe it sells crafts and collectibles.




It is hard to get across the feeling of the town. It is such a different vibe from the "America" I am used to. I have only experienced towns like this in David Lynch films before........the weirdness factor for me is pretty high.

But it was an awesome Wednesday because I got to hang out with Jeff and he even taught me a little about preparing to build a garage.




(That's not me talking to him, heh heh)


After the trip to Hugo we had more time together before I picked up Alex from school and he did like a bazillion projects around the house and at the hardware store. I really like Wednesdays :)

Peace.

No comments: