I was pretty horrified last night when I turned on the TV to watch Larry King Live. I was hoping to catch an interview with John Edwards, instead I saw Larry interviewing the guy who gave Britney Spears a tattoo. WTF? Is this news or gossip? Seriously. Can we be that superficial as a country?
I really don't think so.
I think the majority of Americans do want to know what is happening in the world. The entire world. We want to know about injustice, suffering, and complex situations. We can handle the truth - whether or not America is the hero or the villain.
We are rational, intelligent adults, yet the mainstream media begs to differ.
For example. Take the time from your day and read this article.
Did you know about the World Social Forum? Why is our awareness about poverty in the global south low? Sure, we might not care about other people suffering enough to do anything, but do we really want to live in a world where our media consciously does not report it to us?
Information is power. What you do with information is your choice - but you should mad as hell that the mainstream media is censoring news. We should demand a true independent media. We cannot rally around our nation being a good example of freedom if our media doesn't believe in reporting facts and important world events. No wonder Americans look uncaring and apathetic. We have been lulled to sleep by our media.
YIKES!!!
Okay here are some options:
1) Always question and use rational thought when using MSM
2) Know what options are available
My husband likes Alternet and Axis of Justice
I love my FreeSpeech TV . Because we have Dish Network we get it on channel 9415
I can watch Democracy Now on FreeSpeech tv to get news, but I also go to Democracy Now's website.
Try it - you will be surprised at the news that the MSM doesn't think you want to hear. I am still shocked.
I truly believe we are a nation of rational adults. We can appreciate gossip for what it is worth, but we don't want gossip and spin replacing news. We care too much about truth and facts.
Otherwise Truthiness wouldn't be so damn funny (and scary). I love you Stephen.
Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment